Everyday routines are vital to keep skin clean, fresh and balanced! However if your skincare routines are not suited to your personal skincare concerns and skin type, you could be doing more harm than good by following through with your routines!
There are three main different skin types, dry, oily and combination!
- Cleanser: To start, for those with oily skin, cleansing the skin is imperative, using a gel or foaming cleanser is best for oily skin and is usually very gentle as well! Washing/cleansing the face must be included in both morning and nighttime routines! Some examples of great cleansers for oily skin are, Garnier Brightening Gel Face Cleanser with Vitamin C, or Rare Earth Deep Pore Daily Cleanser from Kiehl’s!
PRO TIP: Using a clay cleanser/mask 2-3 times a week can help pull out any excess oil and help the face look natural and balanced!
- Toner: After cleansing a toner can be used to help neutralize the skin and assist with any texture you may be dealing with! One that I love is Paula’s Choice 2% BHA Liquid Exfoliant, this is also a gentle exfoliant!
- Moisturizer: Following up any skincare regime with an OIL-FREE moisturizer is ideal! The product being oil-free is very important as many times there are moisturizers that include a variety of oils to aid the hydration properties of the product. Some great examples are, The Natural Moisturizing Factors + HA from The Ordinary or Neutrogena Hydro Boost Water Gel.
- Cleanser: When it comes to cleanser, you are going to want to be very careful to avoid any harsh or stripping properties! Stick to cream based cleansers that also add moisture! You can try a cleanser that is similar to Pure Skin Face Cleanser from First Aid Beauty or the Soy Face Cleanser from Fresh Beauty!
- Serum: Adding a hydrating serum to your routine can definitely change the texture and look of your skin! Ensure that your serum has hydrating and plumping properties and ingredients like glycerin! Adding some moisture back to the skin is important, serums like Rose Deep Hydration Oil-Infused Serum from Fresh Beauty is definitely great!
3. Moisturizer: When using moisturizer, do not be shy to use large amounts especially during your nighttime routine! Again, it must have hydrating properties! Some great examples are the Ultra Repair Cream Intense Hydration from First Aid Beauty or The Dewy Skin Cream from Tatcha!
- Cleanser: Try cleansers that aren’t too harsh or stripping, try a gentle foaming face wash that promotes balancing the skin! For example, Superfood Antioxidant Cleanser from Youth to the People or the Purity Made Simple Cleanser from Philosophy!
- Varying: Depending on how your skin is reacting to the weather or other factors, you can use different products to help neutralize and balance your skin! For example, you can use sheet masks or re-texturizing masks to aid that!
- Moisturizer: Always following up with a moisturizer is key to making sure your skin looks radiant and hydrated, a great moisturizer with both hydrating and combating properties is best! A great moisturizer that works great for combo skin is the Cold Plunge Pore Remedy Moisturizer with BHA/LHA from Olehenriksen!
I hope this guide has helped you decide which products are best suited to your skin type! This list is a general guide, feel free to add your own steps and products that work for you!